Caranguejeira: a large arachnid
Main information and features:
- The crab tree, also known as tarantula, is a large spider species. They have an average size of 20 cm and can reach up to 30 cm.
- Females can live up to 20 years old, while males live up to approximately 7 years because they die after mating.
- They have a body coated with brown hair, long legs and two claws.
- Its defense system against predators consists in the production of a stinging substance in the hair. They also produce toxins which, although weak to man, can be dangerous if the person has an allergy.
- They feed on small animals, especially insects. They can go several days without eating.
- The crabs have nocturnal habits and live alone.
- Reproduction occurs through mating when the male introduces sperm into the female. It produces 50 to 200 eggs. At birth, the pups come out of the den to live independently.
- They build their burrows near tree roots and rocks. They dig a hole in the ground and cover it with their webs. In this way, they can maintain a temperature suitable for their survival.
- We can find this species of spider in countries of Asia, Africa and America.